Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is Congressman Lowenthal my Congressman?

Congressman Lowenthal represents California’s 47th Congressional District. To find out whether you live in the district, go to and enter your zip code.

2. Does Congressman Lowenthal offer internships in the California and Capitol Hill offices?

Yes, Congressman Lowenthal offers internships for college students and recent graduates in the Capitol Hill office and for high school and college students in the district office. For more information, please visit the internship section or contact the office at which you would be interested in serving as an intern.

3. How can I order a flag that has been flown over the US Capitol?

Congressman Lowenthal offers United States flags at actual cost as a service to his constituents. At your request, he can even have your flag flown over the U.S. Capitol. To order a flag, please go to the flag section or contact the Congressman’s Capitol Hill office at (202) 225-7924.

4. How can I get help resolving a problem that I am having with a federal agency?

The Congressman can help with problems 47th District residents may have with federal agencies, including problems with Social Security, labor issues, housing, passports, veterans’ affairs, and immigration. For more information, please see the federal agencies page or contact the District Office at (562) 436-3828.

5. How do I apply for a military service academy?

Congressman Lowenthal is proud to recommend qualified students for positions in our country’s service academies. For further information, please visit the service academy nomination section or you may call the main District Office at (562) 436-3828.

6. What legislation has Congressman Lowenthal sponsored?

Please visit the legislation section of the website where you can find legislation both authored and cosponsored by Congressman Lowenthal.

7. How can I sign up for Congressman Lowenthal’s e-newsletter?

You can sign-up for Congressman Lowenthal’s e-newsletter by visiting this page and entering your e-mail address.

8. What services can Congressman Lowenthal provide for a constituent?

Congressman Lowenthal can help constituents with a federal issue, such as a missing Social Security check, an immigration question, or a veteran’s affairs issue.

9. What services can Congressman Lowenthal provide regarding non-Federal Agencies and issues?

Congressman Lowenthal cannot intercede in any matter before any courts, nor can he intercede in any state, city, county, or municipal government issue. If your case involves state, county or local government, your public school district or other public agencies, please visit for contact information for your elected state and local representatives.

10. Where can I get information about applying for a federal grant?

The federal government website has extensive information about grants. 

11. Where can I find information on Social Security?

Please visit the Social Security section.

12. Where can I find information on Immigration?

Congressman Lowenthal can assist constituents with immigration and citizenship applications already in progress. However, he cannot initiate an application on behalf of constituents. Please visit the immigration section for more information.

13. How can I let Congressman Lowenthal know my feelings on issues and legislation?

You can e-mail him your questions, comments, and concerns. Alternatively, you can contact the Capitol Hill office by calling 202-225-7924 or by sending postal mail to 108 Cannon House Office Building, Washington DC 20515.

14. I have sent Congressman Lowenthal a letter with my thoughts on an issue. How long will it be until I can expect a response?

As you might imagine, Congressman Lowenthal receives a large volume of mail and email. He does his best to personally respond to each letter he receives as quickly as possible, but the response times can vary. Please allow four to six weeks to hear back from the office regarding correspondence.

15. How can I request a meeting with him or invite him to attend my event?

For scheduling requests for events or meetings, please send an e-mail to Congressman Lowenthal’s scheduler via the scheduling form.

16. How can I find out when the Congressman’s next town hall meeting or public event will be in my community?

To learn when the next town hall meeting or public event will be, please call Congressman Lowenthal’s main District Office in Long Beach at (562) 436-3828.

17. How can I request a tour of the US Capitol Building, White House, Supreme Court, Kennedy Center, US Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Pentagon and Library of Congress?

Please visit the “Visit Washington DC” page on our website for more information about tours while you’re visiting our nation’s capital.

18. Are there maps of the Capitol and DC Metro Area?

Map of the Capitol Grounds

Map of the Mall

Metro Trip Planner

White House Area Map

19. How does a bill become a law?

In the simplest terms, a bill becomes a law after it passes the Senate and the House of Representatives and the President signs it. For more information about how a bill becomes a law, visit the Library of Congress' guide. The Clerk’s office also provides a guide to the legislative processes as it specifically relates to the House of Representatives.

20. What does a Member of Congress do?

In brief, Representatives are responsible for representing the people of their District in the United States Congress. Part of this responsibility is writing and voting on bills in the U.S. Congress. All bills must pass Congress before they can go to the President to be signed into law. Another important part of the job is to help residents of the District if they have a problem with the federal government.

21. What is the difference between the House of Representatives and the US Senate?

The U.S. Congress is made up of two "houses": the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives. There are 100 members of the Senate and 435 members of the House. Each state has two Senators, regardless of how many people live in that state. The number of Representatives of each state, however, is based on the number of people that live in the state. Senators serve six-year terms. Representatives serve two-year terms.