Help With A Federal Agency

If you need assistance with a federal agency whether you have a problem with the Social Security Administration, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Department of Veterans Affairs, or if you want help with the Small Business Administration, my office may be able to help.

My Congressional website contains detailed information about many of the areas most people have questions or concerns with. If you need assistance with an issue that you do not see on the list, please contact my Long Beach office at (562) 436-3828.

What Is Casework?

You can often obtain an answer or resolve your problems by directly contacting a federal agency or by visiting its web site. However, when additional help is required, my staff and I will open a case and act as your liaison with the appropriate federal agency to assist you in your efforts to resolve the problem.

How Do I Open A Case?

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. Ā§ 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request. Please complete the Casework Authorization Form and return it to my Long Beach office via postal mail, via fax, or via email at

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondenceā€”such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;

Once you have filled out this form, mail it to my Long Beach office at 100 West Broadway St., Suite 600, Long Beach, CA, 90802, fax them to (562) 437-6434, or email

Help With Benefits Eligibility

If you are seeking information on your eligibility for various government benefits, helps citizens access government benefit eligibility information through a free, confidential, and easy-to-use questionnaire.

Questions Regarding Non-Federal Agencies

As a federal representative, I am able to make inquiries of federal agencies; but, if your case involves state, county or local government, your public school district or other public agencies, please visit for contact information for your elected state and local representatives.

  • While I will do my best to assist you with resolving your situation, I do not have the ability to override agency decisions made in accordance with federal law or regulation.
  • I am unable to assist you with a problem involving a state or local government agency, or which does not fall under federal jurisdiction.You may want to contact your state or local officials for assistance with these matters.
  • Due to the constitutional separation of powers, judicial matters do not fall under my jurisdiction as a Member of Congress. House ethics rules also prohibit me from acting as an attorney.
  • I am regretfully unable to directly intervene in private disputes between individuals and businesses, financial institutions, or other independent entities. However, I will be happy to provide you detailed information about programs and resources that may be helpful to you in pursuing such complaints.
One of the most important things I do as a U.S. Representative is help people with federal problems. Although I cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, I can often intervene on a person's behalf to answer questions, find solutions, or just cut through the red tape. Below you will find a list of agencies that I can help you with. However, regardless of which agency you need help with, I need a completed privacy authorization form to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act. Please download this printable version of the privacy authorization form and then fax or mail to the address listed under the agency from which you are seeking assistance.

Which Agency Do You Need Help With?

The Social Security Administration (SSA)

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Military - Armed Services

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) - Medicare

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

The Department of State (DOS) - Passport Services & Visas

The United States Postal Service (USPS)

Office of Personnel Management (OPM)

The Department of Labor (DOL)

The Department of Education

Federal Communications Commission (FCC)

Stay Connected

Use the form below to sign up for my newsletter and get the latest news and updates directly to your inbox.

Office Locations